Monday, February 4, 2013

Part 1 - Are You a Crazy One?


Getting inspired is easy

There are plenty of quotes or photos we can feel inspired by, every day. Here are examples that I love from Facebook.


































Getting inspired is important, for sure, but it’s not enough. It’s one half of the equation. We must act on our inspiration to be effective at achieving goals, improving ourselves, and helping others.  But not just any action. Rather, actions that actually work to serve our purpose.

Put more formally, Inspiration is a necessary but insufficient condition for success.

Who am I?

I was born in Manila, grew up in Chicago, and lived in Dubai. I have traveled the US, Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Africa. So ask me where home is, and I’ll tell you, “the world.”

I love to tinker with ideas. I love to solve problems. I love helping people. I do a good job of grasping things, seeing below the surface, and looking at the big picture. They say everything is linked. I draw on these links to get a good sense for people and the world around us.”

That’s how I begin my profile statement on LinkedIn. Please feel free connect with me!

What is The Core Algorithm?

Is it a Math formula?  (image credit)
Is it one of Albert Einstein's theories?  (image credit)
Is it an exercise for the core?  (image credit)
In a way, it can be all of the above!

Simply put, an algorithm is a method for solving a problem or steps for accomplishing a task. Yes, it is often a math formula or codes for computer programming. When you search for information on ‘apple,’ for example, sophisticated Google algorithms can determine whether you mean the fruit ‘apple’ or the company ‘Apple.’

But in my use of the term, an algorithm is mathematical and non-mathematical (i.e., conceptual and practical).  Of course, you may call it whatever makes sense to you:  for example, rules, steps or directions.

My aim is to draw on a wide range of knowledge, ideas and experience - from Math and Physics, to sports and fitness, plus much more - to help us deal better with the smaller to larger issues we face:  from managing time and conserving resources; to hitting tough targets and realizing an ROI; to coming to grips with poverty and conflict.

I call it The 'Core' Algorithm, because it is applicable across a wide range of issues.

Easy as A-B-C and 1-2-3

The Core Algorithm involves three steps.

Step 1 - Begin with the end in mind




If you haven’t read the book ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People,’ now is the time to do so. Stephen Covey wrote it in the 1980s, and I virtually ate it up, reading it back then. I love to read, and I’ve read a lot in my life. This is one of the few books that has had a lasting impact on me.

‘Begin with the end in mind’ is one of those seven habits, and it means having a clear sense of purpose from the outset. Before you take action on something, be clear first on what you’re trying accomplish.  Be clear as best as you can on what your goal, objective or purpose may be.

Step 2 - Walk backwards to map the pathways




Now that you have your ‘end’ firmly and clearly in mind, map the pathway - backward - from there to where you are now.

If you aim to lose 25 lbs., for example, the most important thing you have to do is a very simple algorithm: Burn more calories than you consume. That’s the most immediate, most direct impact to the goal of losing 25 lbs. Apply this algorithm, and you will lose weight.

(image credit)
Next is the intermediate impact, and it has to do with techniques or programs that work best for your purpose and for your body and lifestyle.

You have two basic choices:  be more active or eat less. Exercise more, or eat smaller portions. Probably the best option is some balance of both. We’ll talk more about ideas like these in Episode 3, but to emphasize for now: Whatever you do must serve your purpose and it must work for you.

It could be walking the dog regularly and playing with your children more, activities which are usually cost-free. It could mean working out more in the gym, where you can concentrate and have trainers working with you, which require an investment of time and money.


Keep walking backward until you get to where you are, here and now, so you know how to get to your goal and what you need to do at this moment. Do you need to write some motivational notes to yourself, or perhaps talk with a friend for support and accountability?

'Why do we have to walk backward, Dr. Ron?' you might ask.  I believe we often lose track of how to get to where we want to be, and we get caught up in efforts that do not quite work vis-à-vis our end.

For example, How many of you have been enticed to sign up for an expensive membership to a cool, spacious gym?  Then, you realize that your work schedule is so busy and the gym is a little too far from home.  So you end up going to the gym infrequently.

(image credit)
So mapping the pathway backward ensures that we know what the most immediate, direct steps are, to reaching our 'end.'

Step 3 - Walk those pathways

Again the algorithm is simple: Do what you need to do. Take action on your working plan. They say, If you don’t take a step, you’ll just stay where you are and go nowhere.

A simple example of how it works

I arrange to meet a friend for coffee at Lavazza café, and it’s in the Chicago Loop on 27 W. Washington St.


The Chicago street system was designed very well, so it’s easy to follow and I’m very familiar with it. Still, I needed to picture in my mind where the café is.  I know that by virtue of its address, it’s just west of State St., and it’s on the south side of Washington St.

This is Step 1 - ‘Begin with the end in mind.’

For Step 2 - ‘Walk backwards to map the pathways’ happens very quickly. I arrive at the Loop by train at the Union Station, off Adams St., so I have to trace back in my mind the route from the café to the train station.

Step 3 - ‘Walk the pathways’ is an easy, pleasant walk in the Loop. I simply need to keep walking eastward and northward, until I reach the café.

Are you a crazy one?


I’m talking not just about losing weight or finding our way around places, but also about dealing with corporate challenges and resolving poverty, disease, conflict and environment impact.

So what I aim to do, on the whole, may come across as exciting and motivating, or perhaps as ambitious, foolhardy and crazy.  Maybe both.  

It may even seem like an impossibility to tackle such complicated, pervasive problems. But I assure you that it’s possible to do, and to do so more effectively than before.  What’s more, I will show you how it’s possible via The Core Algorithm.


I already know I’m one of them. The question is, Are you one of crazy ones, too?

© 2013 by Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment