Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Dubai Diary on Spatial Orientation (2)


(image credit)
While [scientists John O'Keefe, Edvard Moser, and May-Britt Moser's] findings help explain how the brain works, they have no immediate implications for new medicines or other therapies, since they do not set out a mechanism of action [rf. Algorithm for Spatial Orientation].
But knowledge about the brain's positioning system can also help understanding of what causes loss of spatial awareness in stroke patients or those with devastating brain diseases like dementia, of which Alzheimer's is the most common form and which affects 44 million people worldwide.
Reference: Nobel Prize for Medicine goes to discoverers of brain's 'inner GPS'.

I left my job in September 2010, and I didn't anticipate how difficult and stressful things would be in the aftermath.  I worked concertedly and strategically to get back on my feet, but I was often preoccupied and distracted.  My circumstances made it difficult for me to navigate the highway system, especially as I had to travel to new places and visit new colleagues.  Writing in my Theory of Algorithms journal not only allowed me to document, and thus ease, the struggles I felt, but interestingly it also helped me work through my disorientation.  To be frank, I was worried for my mental state, but thankfully it all worked out perfectly well. 

December 25th 2010

An awful week this past week for navigating myself.

Saturday, 18th December. I missed the turn, somehow, for Agnes’ home in Abu Dhabi. I used to say that once I’ve found a place, I’ve got it memorized on how to get there. Apparently, not quite anymore.
 

Sunday, 19th December. From the Emarat Atrium, I forgot that I had to go toward Al Wasl Road, in order to go home. The street and highway system here is stupid, and coupled with my poor spatial orientation, it all makes for an aggravating time on the roads.
 

Tuesday, 21st December. From Jumeirah Beach Residence to St. Mary’s Church, I somehow missed an exit for Oud Metha. I was tired and not paying attention.
 

Wednesday, 22nd December. From home to Burjuman, again I missed the proper exit. I told myself not to connect to my mobile and make calls, especially when I’m going to a place I hadn’t been before. Good. Still, these are all places I’ve been to before. It’s a good idea, in general really, not to be talking on the phone when I’m driving. I’ve got 100 things in my head, and I’m clearly prone to forgetting, being distracted, and getting tired.
 

Friday, 24th December. From home to Arabian Ranches. It’s also a judgment issue, along with a memory and spatial thing. It’s a bit tricky for me, along Emirates Road, to swing left toward AR. I don’t go there much at all, but in the four years since I’ve been in Dubai, I’ve been to AR several times. So I did what I needed to do, from an algorithm standpoint, that is, calmed myself, visualized my movement. I even told myself, staying in the middle lane through the exit. At the last minute, though, I switched to the left lane and it was a mistake. I should’ve stayed in the middle lane. My head is so compromised now, clearly, that even if I’ve been some place more than once, I’m prone to miss something trying to get there.

Oh, how do I suggest improvements to the UAE streets and highway system? You miss a turn or an exit, and it’s lengthy process trying to correct your mistake. All it takes is a simple left hand turn. But this is not a problem worth solving, because this system is embedded in its psyche and history and culture. Whoever advised various agencies on such a system is messed up.

So here’s what I crafted for this algorithm a couple of weeks ago. From what I can see now, it’s actually very good. I don’t have bullets to add,
just some comments to specify or elaborate on these components of the algorithm: 
  • Meditate. Stay calm. Go slower, I suppose. Don’t rush, as I approach a turn or exit.
  • Clear my mind, and visualize my movement through that space. Memorize both the sequence of my movement as well as landmarks that help me remember that sequence. As I’ve already emphasized, avoid or minimize talking on the phone, especially if I’m traveling to a new place. I need to watch out, when I’m tired, and make a concerted effort to pay attention. I will never eliminate mistakes, but I can minimize these and keep their impact harmless (e.g. last night, en route to AR).
  • Review directions and the location map, more from a ‘local’ mindset (i.e., non-logical, error prone, landmark based, no compass direction).
  • Use the GPS system on my BlackBerry.
  • Pray to God for help. God knows that I’ve felt exasperated and angry with Him. I pray that He forgives me. I believe He does. For everything that is happening is for the sake of His purpose. I have begun to feel afraid that I’m coming down with Alzheimer’s (or something). Maybe so, maybe not. It’s all God’s Will. But somehow acknowledging all of this in this particular comment box is helping me to feel calmer and better. I think I’ll be quite OK :)
By the way, I have also had good successes navigating myself through space, over the past week:

I managed to be on time for the meeting with Jatin on Wednesday evening, despite my missing an exit.
 

I managed to find the office to Global Advocates in Garhoud without any difficulty, Thursday morning, after getting Camille’s directions. Of course the building, like the street and highway system, was messed as far as its entrance was concerned. I swear it’s the same band of idiots constructing all of this here.
 

I managed to find Ayad’s place near Marina Mall, yesterday morning, without any difficulty, after getting Ayad’s directions. I actually made a good judgment en route there. I went along Al Sofouh Road, instead of Shaikh Zayed Road, toward the Ritz Carlton, as this was my heuristics for the Marina Mall. Now I have a sense of location for the Marina Walk, when I had such difficulty finding it when I was meeting Katya a few weeks ago.
 

I wasn’t very late to Stephanie’s home last night, despite my missing the proper exit to AR.

No comments:

Post a Comment