Monday, June 8, 2015

"There is no work-life balance. We have one life."


Yoga, meditation, ‘mindfulness’ – 
why some of the West’s biggest companies are embracing eastern spirituality
These contradictions – Buddhist teachers who aren’t Buddhists, corporations with spiritual communities, capitalism embracing traditions that shun materialism – are perhaps unsurprising in the modern age. Just as General Mills products are sold around the globe, feeding people from India to Indiana, so too the fundamental tenets of the world’s great religions are freely traded in every corner of the earth. The result is that the people who work hard to make high-margin, low-calorie breakfast cereals are at the same time striving to improve their spiritual equilibrium and even get a taste of enlightenment. “There is no work-life balance,” [General Mills' Deputy General Counsel Janice] Marturano says. “We have one life. What’s most important is that you be awake for it.”
Reference: The mind business.

By my mid-adolescence, I questioned the wisdom of my Catholic upbringing and the tenets of the church.  For many years thereafter, I set aside any religious matter from my mind, as I gravitated toward the spirituality and philosophy of the East, Taoism, in particular.  In fact, I characterized myself as spiritual not religious.  Discovering T'ai Chi was my prompt for this shift.  For the longest time, I kept this side of me separate from the professional identity I carved in the corporate milieu.  The reason I revel in the foregoing article is that it bridges these two sides for me and scores of others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment