Friday, February 20, 2015

Working out a wire transfer


(image credit)

For many expatriates like myself, getting our paychecks and transferring money are important tasks.  Unfortunately, my first paycheck from a new job didn't arrive on time, and it took a week to resolve the problem.  It took another week for the wire transfer to become available in my home account.  Given some pending family commitments, it was a nerve wracking stretch for my wife and me.  Nonetheless, I was grateful for two colleagues at the office for helping me with all sorts of hurdles.

Since the first wire transfer, which I did in person at the bank, I thought I'd set up the online process, that is, for the sake of convenience.  But as the time for the second paycheck approached, I decided the risk of convenience was a bit too high.  That is, it took such time and energy to resolve the first set of issues, that I was reluctant to risk another set of issues cropping up with the online process.  I just didn't trust the bank well enough at that point.   

So I stuck with a process that I now knew would work, that is, in person wire transfer:
  • I looked for signs that my paycheck was deposited on time, and these signs (company payslip and bank text message) came as expected.
  • I had planned well before to go to the bank the afternoon of the next day, which, given my work schedule, was the earliest I could do so.  
  • I walked to the bank at a particular time (3 PM), and arrived in a half hour.  I hoped that my transaction didn't last long, so I could then walk back toward the office in time to catch the shuttle (4:30 PM).  All in all, the walk was terrific exercise and decompression, plus taxi saving.
  • Thankfully that transaction went smoothly, and the two staff at the bank were very helpful and friendly.  In fact I reached the shuttle, bound for my villa, earlier than planned (4:20 PM). 
I had my mind set for the wire transfer to take a week, but lo and behold it hit my home account the very next day.  One day later it was fully available, and I took care of some family commitments much earlier than expected.

I was very happy that I stuck with that same process and that it worked out even better than before.

I enjoy walking, and I enjoy befriending the bank staff, so I will likely abide by that process for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment